In the spirit of Mother Teresa’s famous quote “not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love,” here are 10 simple, inclusive ways to show the love of Christ to neighbors, friends, family, community members, strangers, and coworkers.
- Send handwritten mail. Take the time to write a note to mail to a friend, former teacher, or grandparent. A letter out of the blue will absolutely be the recipient’s highlight of the day!
- Put your phone away when you spend time with others. Spend quality, focused, uninterrupted time with family, friends, and neighbors. Put your phone away or turn it off completely while you are hanging out this month.
- Give without expecting anything in return. Give a compliment, a gift, a free babysitting coupon, a hand me down pair of shoes, or words of encouragement! Don’t expect or ask for anything in return.
- Remember a little detail that someone has told you. People feel special when others remember small details or ask about something they mentioned. Make a note when someone tells you about an interview, a trip, or a special event. Add it to your calendar to help you remember to ask about it.
- Cook a meal for neighbors. Bring a meal to someone on your street or invite them over to share it together. Just be sure to put your phone away while eating!
- Listen without interrupting. How often do we wait for our turn to speak instead of genuinely listening and responding with love? Use active listening to pay attention to the speaker, show respect, and make him or her feel understood.
- Make conversation with the cashier at the checkout. Skip the self check-out and choose a line with a real cashier and talk to them about their day. Genuinely ask, listen, and respond.
- Tip well for service. Another practical way to show love to a stranger is to tip well. No matter the service, leave a kind note of encouragement and a big tip.
- Sit with someone who feels sad.When others are hurting, our first reaction is often to give advice or try to fix the problem. Instead, spend time just sitting and being there with someone who feels sad.
- Pray. A simple, easy way to love others during the day is to pray for them. Pray about the little detail you wrote down from a conversation, for the cashier you were chatting with, or for your neighbor who is feeling sad.
Thank you to Shane Claybourne and The Simple Way project for this wonderful Valentine's message.